Friday, March 09, 2007

being there

Last night I spent a very cold 2 hours standing outside of Pep Boys, selling cookies. Why? Because I love Harmony. Because I want her to know that I am there for her and want to support her in everything that she does. Because I hope that some day, down the road, Harmony says, "Thanks for being there Mom." That is all I want. Is for her to tell her kids and her family that my Mom was always there. I have been lucky that I have been able to attend every field trip, every class party, every concert, award ceremony etc. You name it and I have been there. But last night I came to the realization that sometimes my life is pretty charmed...

Harmony has a friend named Tiffany who is in her school class and in her GS troop. Tiffany's Mom and I were manning one side of Pep Boys with our girls, while the others were on the other side. She made a comment about how she and I were always the ones at the field trips and events at school. But as she was talking I found something out. This woman, works at a restaraunt in the airport. She works the breakfast shift, and so has to get up at 2:30 and be at work at 3. She then works until 1. She hurries home and has her alone time until 2:30 when her daughter comes home from school. Then it is onto making dinner, helping with homework, carpools and all that "other stuff". So even though she knew that she would have to be up in 6 hours, she was out helping her daughter last night. Because she wanted to BE THERE for her.

I realize how lucky I am. For many reasons. 1) I have friends who are willing to help me by watching my kids. They have made it easy for me to go and be with the other. All I have to do is ask. 2) I have a supportive husband. He understands my desire to attend events that our kids are in. Sometimes, he stays home with Ivan, so that I can enjoy the event without dealing with him. But he is always there to help. 3) for Ben's career. Ben has worked sooo hard to be where he is. So that we can live comfortably. I know there are many women who would love to be at home, but because of finances they can't. I know there are women who would rather be at work then at home. But I know that Ben works hard so that I can stay home. He supports me financially in MY career.

When I was growing up, my parents made sure that at least one of them was at every single one of our events. Now that I am older, I realize how hard that can be. Not too mention tiring. I am so grateful.

I know this is a long post it is just something that has been on my mind. And last night just brought a lot of thoughts to the surface. To those who love and support me a big huge THANK YOU!

No comments: