Friday, October 20, 2006

Wonder Woman





My parents call me Wonder Woman. Now, if I am actually deserving of this name, has yet to be seen BUT I know a real live Wonder Woman. She has earned the title in every way. This picture is of my friend Janice, who just one week ago, gave birth to her 2nd child, a little girl named Julia Lynn. (No the Julia is not for me and the Lynn is not for Harm. Just a coincidence!) Anyway, while giving birth doesn't actually get you a super hero status, although maybe it should, that is not the only reason. Julia's older sister, is only 16 months old. Something like that anyway. Not very old. So, Janice will totally have her hands full. Still not enough? Janice's husband just deployed. Yep, at the first of October he left. He will not be home for 8 months. She will be raising those 2 little girls without the emotional help of her husband, Jeremiah. Now, she has tons of friends here. She will get lots of help, I know BUT 10 good friends still don't equal one Jeremiah. We are just not going to quite cut it. She will be grateful for our help I am sure, but it will still never be the same. And you know what the best thing about Janice is? She is so positive!!!!! During her pregnancy, she knew what loomed ahead. She knew he was leaving. And did she whine and mope around? No, she was positive. She remained truly optimistic. I am sure that she had her moments, who wouldn't, but for the other 99% of the time, she remained happy and positive.

Military wives are called the homefront hero's. Trust me, I know a lot of them. And I am proud to know them. They are some of the toughest people you will ever meet. I have never had to go through what Janice did. I have been pregnant, I have had little children, but never given birth during a deployment. Janice is not the first and she will not be the last. But she dealt with the situation with style and grace. I am glad to call her a friend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marie, it's Janice. The whole Jananas thing comes from a nickname some friends gave me after that gwen stefani song came out with 'bananas' in it... ANYWAY.. I just wanted to say that your words were too kind. You must have seen me on my GOOD days! Thanks for being such a great friend though! Feel Free to check out my blog (just got one... and trying to figure out how it works... so not much there for now).