Friday, November 10, 2006

Veterens Day

Last night at dinner, we were talking to the kids about the trip that we are taking to Colonial Williamsburg today. I told them that since it was Veterans Day, military get in for free. Harmony asked me what a veteran is. So I started naming some people that are. I said, " Your Dad is one, your Uncle Steve is one, your Uncle Joe is one..." and she said,"Mommy is that why his name is on that wall?" I told her, "kind of, but that wall is designated for people who died in the Vietnam war." You could see her figuring it all out.

I used to just think of Veterans Day as one of those "Monday holidays". Things like Presidents Day or Columbus Day. Just another way to get out of school.

Now it is different. I look at the world differently. Before Ben joined the military, I thought everyone in the Navy was on a ship. Everyone in the Air Force flew planes. Everyone in the Army were the ones over fighting wars. I kind of lumped Marines in that same category. I also believed that those who went in to the military probably just couldn't hack it in college. Judgemental just a little huh?

To say that I have changed my views is an understatment! There are so many people, behind the scenes, that make this the greatest military in the world. When I meet new people, and ask what their husband does in the Navy, I usually have no idea what the job is. Unless it is something like a pilot, or something more obvious. There are just so many people working in different areas, making sure things run smoothly.

I am kind of rambling ( surprise, surprise) but I just love my country. I love being a military wife. I support my husband 100% as he and his peers try to make this world a better place to live. But they are not the "senior class". They are the freshman. So many more have gone before them. And the words thank you seem very inadequate.

No comments: