Friday, November 17, 2006

F is for failure

It has come to my attention this week that I am raising a bunch of thugs. I have earned an F in the mothering dept. This week has been so busy and I thought about how great I was doing, getting to be with the kids for field trips, taking them on play dates, going shopping with them. Just doing the total Mom thing. A busy week, but I thought in their little ways they might appreciate it. Or look back later when they have 4 little kids and say , " wow I really appreciate what she did." Don't get me wrong, I know it took me waaaaay to long to appreciate all that my Mom did/does. But today....This week.... OK let's take a look back at the beginning of the week: Monday - Connor steals from his teachers. Tues-the breaking up of numerous fights and threatening death while waiting in line at the commissar. Wed- go with Harmony on her field trip. She does pretty well but once I get the rest of the kids they fight over who sits where in the van. Thurs- Harm is upset about the whole honor roll thing. Starts me thinking that maybe this "school is so important that I have to get straight A's pressure is my fault. Today-I got home from Connor's Thanksgiving program. I check the answering machine and have a message from Ethan's teacher saying he doesn't feel well and has been lying down. I called her back and told her that I would be there to get him. I had just put Ivan down for a nap BUT I got him up and went to pick up Ethan, knowing full well that I would have to just come back to pick Harmony up in 2 hours. We get in to the car and Ethan, with a huge grin on his face, says " Guess what Mommy?I was just tricking!" Excuse me? What? The kid wanted to go home so he faked sick. He is 5 yrs old. and he is pulling this. I won't even go into all the stinky things Ivan has done today. And now I am faced with do I let Ethan go to Parents Night Out tonight, so Ben and I can have a break, because I can't reward him for that. I thought my 5000 lectures on " we do not tell fibs. We only tell what really happened" would have meant something. Apparently not. I used to pride myself on the fact that my kids were pretty good kids. I am not going to parade that fact around again. If I was better, they would be better. Right? Motherhood is not easy. In fact, today, it sucks. I just don't think I will even mention my kids again. I give up. What do you do so you make sure that your kids don't turn up on Super Nanny? With other Mom's watching on going yeah why does that lady let her kid act like that? I certainly don't have the answers!!!! My report card-F.

1 comment:

Susan said...

You're being WAY too hard on yourself. You do have good kids, they're just...kids. Hang in there. You are a great mom! Even if your kids don't realize it yet, I do :)