Wednesday, March 12, 2008

sooo proud


My kids do things all the time that make me swell with pride. They also do a lot of things that make me cringe. But such is the life of a mother, am I right?

Well on Saturday I honestly do not think I could have been prouder of Harmony. We signed up to do the Girl Scout 5k. I had to wake her up at 5:30 ( after she had a pizza and movie night the previous night)and drag her out. She had slept in her "exercise clothes" so all she had to do was get out of bed. We get to the pavillion and it is still completely dark. Let the complaining begin. However, her friends started showing up and she was fine. So before the race she says she needs to go to the bathroom but they are all locked. Uh oh.

She started out telling me that there was no way she was running. At all. I let her use my ipod though and amazingly enough she ran a little bit. So the whole thing was 6 laps around this path. We did the first 3 and than the complaining started..." I need to go to the bathroom. I'm tired. I don't want to do this any more, etc etc) I didn't want to push her but didn't want her to quit either. We get to the 5th lap and she is barely holding on, when one of the Mom's offered her a port-a-potty. Which she happily agreed to use. When she was done, I told her she only had about a lap and a quarter left, did she want to finish and be done or go the last lap. She said, " I said I would do the whole 5k and that is what I am going to do. I want to finish what I started." We told the "official" that we would be finishing our last lap, so Harm's whole troop started cheering for her.

We finished the last lap easily and grabbed hands and ran to the end.We did uhm finish well...dead last but... I have never been more proud of that girl. And it turned out that she was the only from her troop to do all 6 laps.

I am just so proud of her. She could have chosen to sleep in that morning, not ran at all, given up but no. She pressed on. When the going got tough, the tough got going. So very proud. That's my girl!!!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Way to go Harmony! I am so impressed! I don't think I would wake up that early just to run!