Wednesday, August 08, 2007

marble jars




I was getting fed up with the way things were running in my house. You know, I am picking up bedrooms, while the kids are playing video games. Dirty clothes everywhere...except the laundry baskets. Little things, but on a whole it makes it very frustrating. I decided that I wanted to come up with a reward system for the kids. They have these papers called their "do it charts" and for everything that they get checked off, they get a marble. One marble equals either .25 at the store or 15 min. of video game time. Each chore chart has about 10 things. However, they get 2 taken away any time they fight. Both kids, no matter " who started it", get 2 marbles taken away. You do get a marble if you are nice. So there are incentives to be good. The kids had a good time decorating their jar and earning marbles. The first day worked so well, because they wanted to earn marbles and then if they fought, they would quickly apologize so that they wouldn't get them taken away. The only problem is that I need to be consistent about checking their sheets, awarding the marbles etc. We will see how it goes!

No comments: