Friday, September 29, 2006

reading logs



I hate filling out reading logs. Harmony has a monthly and a weekly one. The weekly one I can totally handle. It is just that I forget to do it. Honestly, that's all there is too it. Somewhere in my brain, I have a little voice that tells me to do it when we are sitting down to do homework. But I don't listen. And I find myself on the last day of the month (aka today) trying to fill out 20 days worth of books. The thing is, since the kids have been old enough to sit still and listen,I have read them 2 stories every night. It is just part of their bedtime routine. Yet, I forget to fill out the log. So then I just have to make up books that we read. Now by make up, I don't mean literally, just going through the bookshelf and using the books I find. Harmony thinks I am lying when I do this. My take is though, that she reads every night. We read every night. Ethan also has a monthly reading log! Anywhoo...we read every night and they deserve to be rewarded for it. I don't think they should be penalized for my inability to remember to write their books down. Whew! So negative I am lately. But getting up at 5:30 and thinking "oh crap I have to fill out that reading log before school" is not the best way to wake up!

Chili cookoff tonight for our ward. This is the biggest activity that our ward participates in. So many people come out for it. Last year, at the cook off, was the day that I told friends that yes, Ben was for sure leaving. It was official. A year ago. Boy time flies. Last Sunday marked 3 months that he has been home. It sometimes feels like he never left. After a little adjustment period, we just went back to our normal lives. Ecspecially once school started and he was back at work.It is hard to remember what it was like. And then, I will ask him about something, or see if he remembers something and he gives me ablank stare. And I realize, "oh yeah you weren't here when that happened." And I am reminded once again of those loooong and lonely 6 months. I wish we still had kind of kept that " I can't live without you, I miss you so much" shmoopyness but that is ok. I realize that I call him at work a lot, just to hear his voice, because 3 short months ago I couldn't. I am grateful that time really does fly. I know he will leave again, but right now I am going to enjoy the time I have with him and be grateful.

Talk about mood swings huh? First I am venting about reading logs and then sappy. Ah well. All in a mornings work.

On my other blog I talked about Connor and his hat. He is so cute in it and loves it so much. Wears it to school every day. So the picture is my little cutie in his trucker hat Ashton Kutcher style!

No comments: