Friday, April 25, 2008

standing for something

(Harmony with her girl scout leader)

Being a parent is tough. And one of the hardest things for me to deal with is seeing my kids be dissapointed. It breaks my heart. Two of the kids this week have been faced with obeying their parents/ and a commandment, and doing something they want to do. **If you are not LDS, we have a commandment about no activities on Sundays, it is a day to rest from the cares of the world and to focus on more spiritual things.**

On Monday, I went to pick Harmony up from Girl Scouts and she handed me a card with a dissapointed look on her face. Always the caring Mother, I asked what her problem was. She simply replied, "it's on Sunday." I looked at the card which was an invitation for a GS Bridging Ceremony. That is where they are rewarded with all the badges that they have recieved, kind of like a Court of Honor for boys. I told her I was sorry and that I would explain to her leader why she couldn't come. She just said, " don't bother. I already told her I am not allowed out on Sundays." ( Don't you love how kids phrase things?!)

So yesterday I was at the NEX ( where else I practically live there) where I saw her leader. We chatted for a moment and then I explained a little more as to why Harm wouldn't be able to attend. She was very sweet about it and didn't want to compromise our beliefs over it, and she would make sure that Harmony got all of her badges. ( Christy you are going to have a lot more patches to sew!)

It was a hard moment, because part of me just wanted to say, " Ok just this once." But I knew in my heart of hearts that I gave in once, it would be a lot easier to do it again. We stood our ground.(Not that anyone was making hard for us!)

Well last night,we took the kids out to dinner and a movie and I checked my email when we got home. There was an email from her leader, that she had changed the date so that Harmony could be there. I was floored! What an incredibly sweet thing to do. I told Harmony and she just about shed tears of joy, she was so excited.

I knew it was a teaching moment. As Connor if facing the missing of his very best friends birthday party on Sunday, I knew he needed to hear this lesson also. That when we stand up for our beliefs, people will respect us for it. I know that this will not always be the case. Not everyone is going to change their plans to meet our needs, but it did show my kids that when we stand up for our beliefs, "all things shall work together for your good."

I realize this week's posts have not been the lighthearted posts I usually do. But my life isn't always lighthearted. Unfortunatley.

1 comment:

Beth said...

That is such a great story! I know this has only come up a few times for us, and what makes it especially hard for Austin when it does come up is that it is usually from a family member. (My inactive brother's family!) I really liked the way you handled it. You rock!