Tuesday, August 22, 2006

firsts & lasts

Ben is at a luncheon right now. Really exciting right? Actually...it kind of is. The luncheon is with the detailer. In Navy language, that word translates to "the person who decides where you go next." A luncheon today with a meeting on Thursday. It is hard to believe that our time here is almost up. So many firsts have happened here. First steps, both Connor and Ivan, 1st deployments, 1st birth outside of Oregon, first days of school, first birthday's, first teeth falling out, first new car, first trip to DC, and many many more. And as I think about all the firsts, I start thinking about all of the "lasts". Next year at this time we will be either moved or in the process. Thus this year marks the last ward chili cookoff, last school programs at pre-schoo, last year of Ingleside, last year of driving these roads and going to the same stores, last time paying dumb Va licensing fees, last days of work, last days in this apartment. Last moments with friends....I don't think it is any big shocker that I don't really like Norfolk. But I love my friends.I have made some of the greatest friends I have ever known here. When we found out we were coming to Norfolk first, I told Ben that I would try to make the best of it. But I wasn't that excited. Then I came and found a new friend. And then another, and another and so on. I love hanging out with my friends. Wether at church, school, Cheesecake factory, or around Deborah's dining room table those are the times I will miss. BUT, we are ready to move on. Yep, we are ready to leave what has become our new comfort area and try something else. I guess this is the perfect place to let people know (sorry Mom!) but our first request is going to be Guam. Yep, that's right. You read it right. Guam. After that I believe the choices are all CA but Guam. We want to do something new and that would fall into that category I think! Nothing in the Navy is guaranteed though. I don't even know how long it will take us to find out. With school coming up soon ( thank heaven!!) I just started thinking about all the lasts that are going to be happening. But I also know that there are a lot of firsts also. I promised Ben that I would follow him anywhere. And I will. Wether it's Guam, or somewhere in CA, or Great Lakes. Wherever he and the kids are that is my home. "Home is where the Navy sends you." So here is to new adventures. And all the firsts and lasts that we will experience. I can't wait....

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I'm right there with you! I was thinking the other day, we've just spent our last summer in VA!