Tuesday, May 13, 2008

validation


Connor is absolutely the worse kid to bring to the store with you. Seriously. From the minute he finds out he is going, the "can I have's" start and don't end until we are back in the car on the way home. Yesterday I took Ethan to spend his birthday money. I gave Connor plenty of warnings, "please do not ask me for anything. If I decide to get something it will be my decision." He kept asking for things. I told him ( and yes all of us adults realize that this is an idle threat but...) I told him if he didn't stop he would be sitting in the car until Ethan and I were done. But he kept it up. He came up to me with a Star Wars Lego set and "please Mommy it is just something small." But by this time I had literally told him 30 times to stop asking. So I made him put it back and told him he would be getting nothing.

The drama, the tears. Oh we were quite the site. But I was VERY calm, and stood my ground. We finished up at the store and were getting ready to go. Connor still crying, still upset. Amazingly enough, Ivan behaved wonderfully! When we get to the cashier, she asked him what was wrong. He didn't answer but I gave her a quick explanation. She said "good for you" and finished bagging our stuff and we left.

In the car he was kicking Ivan's seat, huge sighs, crying and just going on. I marched him straight into the house and straight upstairs.

As he was upstairs, throwing a fit,and I am feeling like an unfit parent, Harmony comes up to me. I was sitting at my desk and she noticed a package of business cards. She asked me what they were for. Very non-chalant I said, " for my business."

She just looked at me, angrily, and said "What?! Now you are going to go to work too?"

I was shocked but said, "would it be a problem for you if I did?"

She was all upset and said, "yes it's important for you to stay home. I want you here."

I told her that she had never told me that before and I appreciate it. I then explained that the cards were just for me to pass out at my ctmh parties so people could have my webiste info. She said oh and walked off.

Later I told her, " you know Harm, Mommy will always be here for you. I am not going to work outside of our home." She smothered me with kisses and went on her merry way.

It was such a heartwarming moment for me. It actually matters to her. I always thought, "oh my kids will appreciate it later." But I guess later came a little faster than I thought.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That's awesome! Harmony is such a sweet girl.
And way to go at the store. I know how hard that can be. Austin will do the same thing and it drives me crazy!
I think you are a great mom!

Avis La Fin said...

I think you are a great mom, too. I also know you will recognize this little incident as an affirmation of the Spirit!! Love You, Mom