Friday, February 24, 2006

2/24/06

I haven't written for almost a week. Oops! This has been yet another busy week. With farewell parties, another birthday party, sick kids and everything else. I am glad that we do stay so busy. Life moves so fast though! I know it is cliche but I just find that the kids are growing so fast and it is hard to keep up with them!

Yesterday I had a frustrating experience with Ethan. I am not sure if it is just my boys or all boys in general...Yesterday when we left for school it was raining, wet and cold. So I told Ethan that he had to wear his rain coat. He usually wants to just wear a zip up sweatshirt and his fleece jacket. But since it was actually raining, I insisted on his slicker. Which, by the way, he looks totally cute in. When I came to pick him up, it wasn't raining anymore, but it was still cold and really wet. His teacher and I got him zipped up in his coat and then it began..."Mommy, it isn't even raining so I don't have to wear this." " I hate this coat." What does he do? He just takes it off. I told him we would not be leaving preschool until he had his coat on because it was cold outside. Still wouldn't do it! We stopped at this bench right by the door and he absolutely refused. I finally said, "ok Ethan I have had enough. If you won't put your coat on then you are in trouble." What does he do? Starts crying. Balling. He is hysterical over having to put his coat on. I am getting kids in the car and friends are walking by asking me what is the matter with Ethan. I tell them and they nod their heads in total understanding. So annoying but oh well.

Well last night as I was IM'ing ( I know that is not really a word but who wants to write it all out?) with Ben and he was telling me that he went to downtown MeS. I asked him what it was like and he said that I would probably cry. The poverty level is so high there. He said that there was a group of little girls about Ethan's age out begging them for money or food. I don't know if it was snowing or not, but he said it has been really cold, and these little girls were out with sandals on. No socks or warm shoes. It makes me sad, that my kids are so spoiled rotten, that they can pick and choose between what coat they want to wear, and then there are kids who are having to beg for money. I asked Ben if he was able to give them anything and he said no. They all swarm if you give something to one and they usually don't have enough to give some to everyone.

I think of Ben over there, trying to train the Afghan army. I know that even though he is bored at times, that what he is doing is for a good cause. It makes me think of that famous line, " you can give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. You can teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." Hopefully when all is said and done, that country will be better off. They can hire people to build suitable buildings and schools. It is sad.

Anyway, those were just my thoughts today. My spoiled rotten babies vs. other kids their ages. It just doesn't seem fair...

No comments: